Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Final Project
My project topic is analyzing invasive species in urban watersheds of Puerto Rican rainforests. I would like to map which sites are highly suitable for invasive species to overtake native species in these rainforests. This summer, I went to Puerto Rico and collected data on 9 sites throughout the rainforest. Based on GIS data given to me on soil type, geological formations, and land cover type, I plan to analyze which parts of the rainforest will be most likely to harvest invasive species. My methods will be to create buffers on high pollution areas and see how these correlate with my sites and what data I collected there. I will furthermore create a map simply showing which sites, in my data had the most invasive species. Finally, I will create a map showing which areas, based on this previous research, in the rainforest will foster invasive species growth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment