Part I [62 points]
1. Rank order the ten most populous countries of the world. [6 points]
1. China
2. India
3. United States
4. Indonesia
5. Russia
6. Brazil
7. Pakistan
8. Japan
9. Bangladesh
10. Nigeria
I added the countries layer and then looked at the attribute table. Here it listed the population of the countries under POP_CNTRY. Then I clicked on the column and selected sort descending so the highest values came first.
2. How many rivers does the Amazon river system consist of? [6 points]
I first clicked on Select by Attributes, clicked river as the layer, made the query system = amazon, which selected all rivers in the amazon system. Then I went to the attribute and the selected attributes were highlighted. There were 15 total. These lakes were the Amazon, Guapore, Japura, Madeira, Madre de Dios, Purus, Putamayo, Rio Branco, Rio Juruena, Rio Maranon, Rio Negro, Rio Teles Pires, Tapajos, Ucayali, Xingu
3. How many cities are within 500km of the Amu Darya and Syr Darya rivers? Attach a screen shot of a table for these cities. [8 points]
There are 61 cities within 500km of the Amu Dayra and Syr Darya. First I selected attributes and selected the Amu Dayra and Syr Dayra rivers. I then created a layer from these selected features. I then created a 500km buffer around these selected features. Then I counted how many cities were located in this buffer.
4. To the nearest 100,000 what is the total population of countries within 300 kilometers of Iran (not including Iran)? [8 points]
The countries within 300 kilometers of Iran are Iraq-20941720, Saudi Arabia- 18099990, Qatar- 478000, united Arab Emirates- 2061800, Oman- 2090308, Turkey- 61300930, Kuwait-1639000, Syria- 14054470, Georgia-5595552, Armenia- 3377228, Russia- 151827600, Azerbaijan- 5487866, Kazakhstan- 17117910, Turkmenistan- 3714642, Afghanistan- 17250390, Pakistan- 12669300
The total population is 337,700,000.
I first selected Iran in the attribute table, then I created a buffer around 300 km buffer around it. Then I identified the countries within this area, which also provided me with their populations. Then I went into excel and added these populations. Then I rounded to the nearest 100,000
5. Identify the most and least populous countries of the landlocked countries of the world. [6 points]
The least populous landlocked country is Vatican City with a total population of 860. The most populous landlocked country is Ethiopia with a total population of 53142970. I open the attribute table of the countries layer. Then I ascended the POP_CNTRY and looked for the first country that was landlocked which was Vatican City. Then I descended the POP_CNTRY and looked for the first country that was landlocked which was Ethiopia.
6. Identify all countries within 300 kilometers of Veszprem, Hungary (not including Hungary). [10 points]
The countries within a 300km buffer of Veszprem are Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia, Romania, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, and Croatia. First I went into the cities attribute layer and selected Veszprem. Then I created a layer from this selection. Then I created a 300km buffer around the city. Then I identified every country within this buffer.
7. What countries border Chad? [8 points]
The countries that border Chad are Libya, Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, Central African Republic, and Sudan. I first went to the countries attribute table and selected Chad. I then created a layer from this country and zoomed to this layer. I then identified the countries that bordered Chad.
8. Rank order of the five countries that have the most cities based upon the data. And what is the city number for each? [10 points]
1. Russia
2. China
3. India
4. Unites States
5. Cote d’Ivory
I looked at the attribute table and viewed which countries had the most cities.
Part II [38 points + 5 bonus points]
9. Approximate the total length (km) of all river portions /segments flowing in the country of Sudan? [8 points]
The rivers that flow through Sudan are the Blue Nile, Nile, and White Nile. Their total length in the country of Sudan is 3634 kilometers. I first selected Sudan from the attribute list of countries. I then created a layer from this selected. Then I selected by locations and selected rivers that intersect Sudan. Then I created a layer from this selected. I furthermore selected the measuring tool and then measured the length of the rivers within Sudan.
10. Rank order of the five countries that have the most lakes in terms of number. And what is the lake number for each of the five countries? [10 points]
1.Canada
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Norway
5. Chile
I looked in the attribute table to estimate which countries had the most lakes.
11. Rank order of the five countries that have the most lakes in terms of area. And what is the total lake area (square km) for each of the five countries? [10 points]
1. Canada
2. Egypt
3. Netherlands
4. Russia
5. Moldova
I looked at the attribute table to see which countries had the most lakes in terms of area.
12. Produce the following map: a world country map of lake area per capita (area of lake surface per person). [15 points]
No comments:
Post a Comment